Friday 30 December 2011

Revival of Life


Hail o comrade in life.
Soothing words are what you seek.
For there will come a time,
A moment, that never seems to cease.
When success never comes your way,
Failure after failure shall wrap you,
Tears of sorrow shall drown your heavy heart,
Darkness shall swallow all your light,
Peace will be a virtue you will only dream,
Death shall strike your fallen mind,
And you will remain in your grave as if forever.
But rise o comrade I tell you.
Break your coffin of humiliation.
Take the reins of your life and ride.
On a road back to power and glory.
Avenge your past and make a new beginning.
Rise o comrade I tell you.
And make your weakness your strength,
Your curse your blessing,
Make this life worth living,
For the elixir to success is believing
That, you can do anything.

The day was bright. And my class room was brighter. Everyone was excited. The next period was chemistry and our sir was to distribute the answer scripts of the Mock 2 examnitaions. I sat quiety at my desk in the corner of the class. My friends knew what was going on in my mind. But they dint know how to console me. 

Yeah, i was sure that i would not pass. Somehow the science textbooks after class 10 never made sense to me. expecially physics. but i had sincerely prepared for this exam, and the very thought that i would not pass was discouraging as ever. I thought about my future, if i were to continue with my medical studies, chemistry would be an essential part of my syllabus. and here, in school, in spite of studying so much, if i could not pass, what would i do with bio-chemistry in college! My biology was up to the mark and i liked the subject, but I would never be a doctor if i keep failing in chemistry like this. I had to decide what the course of my life should be like on this day. It all depended on this answer script i was about to receive.

The class went quiet. Of course, sir had entered, i was back to the Class XII B, a student of science and here was my fate about to be declared. As the students got up from their seats to collect theirs, i shut my eyes. After almost the entire class had received the answer scripts, my name was called out. My friends fixed their gaze at me. Something told me that they felt pity for me. I hated that more than hell itself. I reached the front of the class, the sir gave me a look that i cannot describe in words, but i knew what it meant-yes i failed. I gave a weak smile, and walked back to my seat in complete distress and shame. I sat on my chair and just kept smiling at everyone who looked at me. One of them came up to me and patted my back, 'you can do it for the boards, you have one month man, cheer up!'.

Yeah right, tell that to my parents. I sat there looking at the happy faces around me, but i looked sympathetically at few students who were grumbling that they dint receive marks that they deserved. I went to them, 'hey its fine. relax. how much you got anyways?'. They answered me and I immediately turned my back at them and sat down at my place with a thud, CRAP - is int 85% good enough for these idiots? 

All my hopes of doing well in life were shattered. I could not stand the shame and disgrace and pity anymore. I closed my eyes and prayed, 'Oh Lord, show me the Way, out of this life.' The bell rang and the sir walked out, and in came my English teacher, 'Aghil, come out for a moment.' Her face was shining and i wondered what had happened to her. I walked out of the class lazily and met her in the corridor. She smiled at me and patted my arm, ' You just received the Class A Commendation Award for your Essay from the Commonwealth Society in London.' I gazed at her for a moment. The Royal Commonwealth society in London! 'The certificate is a very important one, so keep it safe, and congratulations. The principal would officially be giving you the certificate during the morning assembly. Now go back to class.' 

She smiled at me. I was dumbstruck. I walked back to class quietly. I sat down at my place and said nothing to anyone. At the end of the day, I could not help but break the news to my friends. And after a long time, I felt like i did achieve something worthwhile and to be proud of. That night, I thought about all the failures I faced and decided to try my hand at something different, something daring, something that none of my friends would ever think of doing-and time proved it. I decided to try my luck with English, thought of putting away matters of money, comforts, ambitions, and going behind the will of my heart. 'Where your treasure is, there your heart shall be.' I was always ridiculed for writing poetry (cant blame them,i used to write poetry while i was in the examination hall) or doing well in English (while I did badly for other subjects-so no complaints), and every one said that this would not help me in the long run and I need to pay more attention to the sciences i did. But that night I decided to 'make my weaknesses my strength, and my curse, my blessing'... This verse struck me and before it could die out I switched on my study lamp, to write down 'Revival of Life'

2 comments: